Monday, July 20, 2009

Back in the Game!

I stopped by the lab this morning for my day 21 progesterone draw. It's been quite a while since I've been poked and prodded with "real" needles (the acupuncture needles are too small to count), and while I am not a fan of lab procedures, it felt good to be back in the game. To be monitoring hormone levels, gathering data, and moving forward in a quantitative way...it makes me happy! The acupuncture has helped me so much, but sometimes I need the tangible reassurance that western medicine gives. I am excited to have found a practice that sees value in both.

************************************

C and I went for a long drive the other night, and he surprised me. Out of the blue, he commented that he is really tired of going through all this and he's just ready for this season of our lives to be over. He is usually so stoic and silent when it comes to our infertility. Apparently, though, he's been running some numbers and thinking a lot about IVF. It was strangely nice to have a glimpse into his feelings on the subject - I certainly don't want him to hurt, but seeing his pain helps me understand that I'm not in this alone.

The end result of our conversation is that we will probably do IVF sooner rather than later. I am much more comfortable with the new clinic, and financially we can swing it. If my progesterone level suggests ovulation, we may do one more cycle with acupuncture only. Timeline-wise, that would take us up to our vacation. (BEACH! Sorry - I digress.) C is off the following week too (lucky duck!), and that would be a good time to schedule our IVF consent appointment. It's all coming together...

12 comments:

Kim H. said...

I'm so glad to hear that things are falling into place for you - I know how peaceful that can feel... I'm really at peace right now with my journey too - at least we've got a plan and it seems like there is a timeline that I can live with. No more open ended waiting games!

Kate said...

It does sound like things are falling into place. Combining IVF and acupuncture sounds like a good idea, and it's great that you and DH are on the same page. That really helps.

finding_ac said...

my hubbs and i arent as far along in our journey as you are...but i cant imagine him being into doing IVF...so you are lucky that your SO is up for it...

♥ ac

twondra said...

Sounds like things are going well for you. Hope you guys can close this chapter soon!!

Mad Hatter said...

Happy ICLW Week! I'm happy to find your blog, and to find another who is also doing acupuncture. Good for you! I know what you mean about "being in the game"...I am gearing towards a fall IVF with the same thought in mind. It sounds like you have a very positive attitude, and like you and your husband have a great relationship.

Kristin said...

How wonderful that things are falling into place. Hoping the rest of your journey to a baby is short.

~ICLW

Hillary said...

I totally know what you mean about the much needed glimpses into the minds and hearts of our DH's in relation to IF...

So happy things are falling into place for you.

makingmemom.blogspot.com

Peaches said...

HI! I have been reading your blog for ages but have not ever commented. I have been doing weekly acupuncture since November and I really believe it has helped the quality of my eggs and embryos.

Keep the faith, I know how difficult it can be.

ICLW

Courtney said...

Good luck! I hope you don't end up needing IVF, but if you do just remember it will all be worth it in the end!

Katie said...

I always love when the men finally open up a little. Makes me feel less alone! Good luck!
ICLW

Unknown said...

Forward is a good motion.

Petrucia said...

i agree with you. sometimes just going to the lab makes me at least feel like I'm doing something.
good luck!
hope your numbers come back good!